Thursday, July 20, 2006

Twinkles

I know I have been M.I.A as of late! That is because I have been in the land of potty training with Kate! I have to admit I was REALLY dreading it. I was so tired of hearing from various people "oh, I trained my child on one bag of M&M's!" or "I trained in one day or one weekend". It just put pressure on me! :) Being the competitive gal that I am, I felt I had to do as well or better than that! Hee hee No pressure, Kate! :)

So I finally started the training last Thursday. Warning for those who don't care to read about "tinkles and poopies", but they will be discussed in the following sentences! Anyway, Kate had three accidents Thursday morning of wetting her "big girl underwear", but has gone "tinkles in the potty" every single time since then for a straight week! She got it pretty quick and got more than a few chuckles out of me as she called out from the bathroom "Mom! I'm doing it! I'm going twinkles!!!" (instead of tinkles!) She is darn cute. As a reward she got to have mini-chocolate chips because they were in the house already as opposed to me going out to buy candy. She NEVER gets candy, so this is a big deal for her. One problem though, lest you think I am bragging on my daughter's rapid potty training accomplishments. She will not, and I mean NOT go poop in the potty. The girl has amazing control because she refused to poop at all anywhere for almost three straight days. Not sure what the issue is. She waits until we put her pull up on at bedtime and then goes in the pull up before bed and then we have to change her pants again. I have tried everything. Her fave thing in the world is ice cream and she rarely gets it - she has been promised a trip to Grand Ol' Creamery with her Daddy if she "does her business" where she is supposed to, but still nothing. Hmmmm....we have tried bribery, encouragement, and just acting like it is no big deal and figuring she will figure it out. Nothing has worked yet. She picked up the first part of potty training so quickly and easily. Oh well. I think that we just need to let her figure it out on her own! Hopefully she will learn before she starts preschool at the end of August. The good news is, she will not go in her big girl pants because she does not want to dirty them, but I don't want the poor thing to develop some sort of medical issue from holding it for so long!!!

So - our big girl is on her way - here's hoping the potty fairies will help kate figure it all out! I am so proud of her, though! A world without Kate diapers - almost!!! Any advice on the current dilemma is welcome.

You know, I just read back over this and I'm pretty sure that Kate, upon reading it as an adolescent in the future, will want to kill me for publicly writing about her toilet habits. Sorry, sweetie! I'm just so proud of EVERYTHING you do!!!! Even "twinkles"! :)

No comments: