Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dancing Princess, er, Pirate

Kate is in her very first dance recital! She has been taking lessons at a terrific studio all year long and loves it. Every May, the studio puts on an incredibly professional dance production. It is so successful and popular with the community that it actually runs for three nights! So this week Kate has three performances. Last night was her first show and she did a terrific job! She had a blast. Their production is "Peter Pan" (ironically, my first show that I was in was "Peter Pan" as well)  Kate's class dances as a Pirate Crew. Tap-dancing pirates. To be perfectly frank, I was not pleased with the costumes....I had heard, and was reassured, that the costumes for Kate's age group were always incredibly precious, adorable, age appropriate etc. I recall mentioning to my Mom that I was afraid that, for dancing pirates, the costumes would wind up pretty much looking like the "pirate wench" Halloween outfit available at most Walgreens and Target stores :) As we walked through the dressing rooms, I saw a lot of the other pre-school classes dressed in precious Peter Pan outfits, adorable lost-children garb and incredibly cute Indian costumes. So my hopes were up, but quickly crushed as we arrived at Kate's dressing area and found - well you can see in the pics. It is not AWFUL, but is pretty much what I expected. The tot-version of pirate wench complete with shredded skirt, rhinestone skull and neon pink. :) The moms in our class were pretty dismayed. The funny thing is, though, all the other kids are INSANELY jealous of Kate and her crew. The other kids don't want fluffy tulle and pantaloons! They don't want lace and puffy skirts. They want the awesome cool hotpink pirate costume! Go figure.

Below are some pics of Kate at her first performance! She did great! She LOVED having the big kids in the dance company do her makeup - she thought that was just the coolest. Please remember, when viewing the garish rouge, that she is on a massive stage with bright lights, so all the kids are made-up for stage lighting! :) She felt very special and excited and thrilled. Nia and Gramps sent a beautiful flower bouquet for her first dance performance. Uncle Patrick and Jillian are coming to see her tonight and Nick and I have audience tickets tomorrow (right now I am working the green room). Hopefully I can get some video up soon.....






No comments: