Friday, September 21, 2007

Croupy Loopy

It is 1:30ish in the morning. I just got back from the ER with Liam. Poor little guy woke up after only about an hour of sleep tonight and he was barking like a seal. A hot steam did nothing to help and he just kept getting more agitated and was crying non-stop gasping/honking for breath, so I took him to the ER. As suspected, he has a bad case of "the croup". They actually gave him some medication to open his airways up. So now I am sitting here on the couch at home in the middle of the night listening to him breath in his crib. Poor sweet LIam. On top of it all - he was so distraught in the ER that he threw himself out of my arms while we were sitting down and split his chin open on the corner of an open door. Awesome. Well....at least we were already at the Emergency Room! But I felt like a total idiot! The mom who cannot even prevent her son from injury in an enclosed space in a hospital of all places! sheesh. Everyone was so nice, though. If an ER experience can be called great, it was great.

A thought....all due respect to my daughter's preschool. But her CMV illness last year, a bout of fever last week that made her miss soccer and a day of school and now Liam's croup have led me to believe that maybe there is not enough hand-washing going on with the 3 and 4 year olds. I actually asked Kate's teacher this week to please help keep an extra eye on Kate's hand washing to make sure she is doing a good job because I feel like she is always catching some bug. This summer she was so healthy! But as soon as we started back to school....germ central.

Anyway, to further cement my belief in the need for more soap at school, when I was checking Liam in at the ER, I glanced over to my right and there was a really nice Mom from the Preschool! She had HER baby boy with her and HE had Croup, too! AND she told me that her son had been out sick last week, too. BLAH! It was nice to see a familiar face at midnight in the ER, though!

Any suggestions to avoid the school sickies, please let me know! I think Kate is still too young for "airborne"! :)

Off to bed as my little seal slumbers.......

1 comment:

Sif said...

Oh, so sorry to hear about poor Mr. Liam. I hope he's feeling better. The croup is so scarey, too. Hugs and kisses to all of you!