Monday, August 07, 2006

O Solo Mio

Kate was incredibly imaginative and creative today! The whole day she was full of imagination. At one point she declared that her rocking horse, who she has named "Ears", was dirty and needed a bath. So she proceeded to use a bucket and a sponge and a fake bar of soap and a towel and "washed" him clean! She then asked me "Mom, what do horses drink?" I told her "Water!" and her eyes widened and she gasped "That's AMAZING!!!! I DRINK WATER TOOOOOOOO!!!!!" Wow.

Later in the day, Kate found a whistle that sounds like a recorder. Only one note, though. She ran around the living room blowing on that whistle incessantly - marching around to her own beat and whistling away. After about 20 minutes of this, my ears were bleeding and my patience was merely a thread. I took a deep breath and asked her to please either stop or do that in another room. She gleefully said "Ok, Mom!" and literally flounced over to the stairwell. Our stairs have a door at the bottom - she started to go up the stairs and turned around and shut the door. Ah. Quiet.

But Wait. Whistle. Whistle. Whistle. It began again. I slowly walked over to the door and opened it. Kate was sitting on the first step, looking up at me with the darn whistle in her mouth. I said "Kate! What are you doing?" I barely had the words out of my mouth when she held up her hand in that "talk to the hand" way, and looked at me with big eyes and said very frankly - "Mom. PLEASE! I am PRACTICING my SOLO!!!!!" Very dramatic. Then she huffed, took a deep breath, and proceeded to work that whistle at all new decibel levels. Heavens, how dare I interfere with the musical genius!

No comments: