Sunday, February 11, 2007

Thou Shalt Not....

....Make fun of Jesus! I am pretty sure that is encompassed, though not explicity in those terms, somewhere in the Ten Commandments. Kate is still learning, though, so I think God will give her a break. Allow me explain as I share this anecdote with you - I have been meaning to blog it for a while. A while ago Kate was in our bedroom while I was getting ready for the day. On our dresser we have a prayer book and a replica of the papal crucifix that Pope John Paul II displayed on his papal staff. It was given to Nick and I on the occassion of his conversion to Catholocism and my confirmation. Anyway, long story short, the crucifix is a good depiction of what a crucifixtion would do to a person. It is a silver cross and, on it, Jesus is painfully thin and is hanging down off the cross - not like he is a mirror of the cross as in some depictions.

Anyway - Kate said to me with some urgency as she held the cross, "Mommy!! WHAT is THIS?!!!!!" I told her "That is Jesus on the cross, honey!" She said very loudly with great conviction - as if I were teasing her "NOOOOOOO it IIIIIISSSN"T!!!" I reassured her it was and she said to me in a very know-it-all voice, with a touch of sympathy towards me for NOT knowing, "MOM, it is NOT Jesus. THIS is ONE SICK SCARECROW."

Sheesh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi family,

I just caught up on a couple of months of the Amazing Harris Family!! How totally special, wonderful and fun are you guys!!!

And we get to be your friends!

Love,

Harold Wiens