Sunday, June 04, 2006

Magnificent Minnesota

This weekend has been picture perfect! Not to sound trite in talking about the weather, but it has been glorious. Not a cloud in the brilliant blue sky, temps in the 80s but with a nice breeze. Everything is green and blooming and spectacularly beautiful! Minnesota is so lovely. We really took advantage of the beautiful weather and had one of the most fun weekends ever!

On Saturday, I told Nick that he needed to be ready to go at 9am, but I would not tell him what we were doing. Arranged in advance, Patrick and Tara showed up at 9am to babysit the kids for us. Isn't that so great of them?! Nick and I left and I drove him to our "surprise date day". We went to the amusement park ValleyFair and spent the day on thrill rides, playing mini-golf and racing go-karts. It was so fun! The thing is, one of Nick's and my first trips when we were dating was to Williamsburg, VA where we had one of our best dates ever at Busch Gardens amusement park. Considering Nick and I had not spent a day alone together in soooooo long, I thought I would try to capture some of that fun at the park here! We had such a great time! Nick has called me a closet adreneline junkie and we could not get enough of the thrills. One thing that we did that was amazing was we went for a tandem ride on the skycoaster! This was insanely fun. We got strapped into harnesses side by side and then a winch pulled us backwards up 18 STORIES into the air! Then Nick pulled the ripcord and we free fell down until the harness caught and we swung back and forth in the air in a huge arc. It was SO FUN! Having done that now, I would totally bungee jump! It was a great day.

Special thanks to Pak and Tara for watching the kids. They took Kate and Liam to the zoo while we were out and I hear they all had a terrific time! Pak is going to send me some cute pics. We ended the day by taking Pak, Tara and the kids and going out for Mexican food. Finishing off the day with good food, friends, and a margarita was the perfect end to a great day!

In the meantime, here are some pics from TODAY'S fun event! I took the kids to the Grand Ol' Days parade today. Grand Ol' Days is a terrific annual one-day festival in our neighborhood. Grand Ave. is a great street with all kinds of shops, restaurants etc. and it is about 25 blocks long. The whole street is open to pedestrians and there are bands and food and people everywhere. So fun. I popped the kids in the stroller and we walked the 6 blocks and watched the Grand Ol' Days parade! Kate loved it. There were horses and marching bands and beauty queens, old cars, clowns, firetrucks and all kinds of neat things! Liam slept through the whole thing! :) Nick had to work, so he missed it, but he can come next year! :)

We had a Grand Weekend! Hope yours was enjoyable as well!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie!! My parents sent me the announcement of Liam's birth and told me about your blog. They have so enjoyed reading it. As my dad said, "it's a real stitch!" What a fabulous way to stay in touch with everyone! Kate and Liam are so sweet. You have to be such a proud mommy. I showed your blog to my husband and now he wants to start one. :) I still can't believe that when I was in Minneapolis last summer that I forgot that you live there. It's a beautiful city (especially this time of year). We were just in Boston for the first time last month and I thought of you. I'm glad to see all is well with you and the family. Feel free to email me anytime at halesheather@hotmail.com