Sunday, February 26, 2006

Pregnant Alien Creature

Well the waiting game continues! After such a tricky time at keeping Liam cooking for a decent period of time, now that I am off the medicine this little guy is hanging on and not quite in the mood to greet the world yet! It would not be so bad if I did not keep having regular contractions. They have gotten to 7 minutes apart for hours to the point where I debate whether ‘this is it!”……but they end up waning away. They are a daily occurrence that I will just have to live with. It is tough though….they wake me up at night, they strike at odd times and some are really quite unbearable. I continue to progress slowly as far as dilation and effacement goes, but labor never fully kicks in. Due to the stress on me, my body, and the baby, the docs have scheduled an induction this week! He will be at 38+ weeks and plenty cooked. In fact, he has officially been in the womb longer than Kate was! I pray that all goes well. But I cannot wait to meet him!

In the meantime, we are just trying to keep distracted. It is harder to do than one might think. I cannot do too much because then the contractions kick in, so long walks are out. And the movies are out because I cannot sit still for that long comfortably. This weekend Nick and I decided to go on a “real date” and we went for a lovely dinner at a restaurant we have wanted to try for ages. With Kate being watched by her Nana, we set out for our first date in ages! It was so lovely. GREAT food and atmosphere with a terrific wine list that Nick sampled. The only drawback – and I suspect this would have happened had I waddled into any eating establishment be it McD’s or L’Espalier – was that a large number of patrons spent the evening giving me somewhat nervous sidelong glances during dinner. Never mind the blatant open stares of shock as I floated my mass into the restaurant with Nick and checked in our reservation! Now, I KNOW I am big. I KNOW I look like I am about to “pop”. But I dressed nicely and looked half-human and was thrilled to be out and about…..I did not need the looks of shock as if they were afraid I would ask the waiter to clear off a table so I could climb upon it and proceed to birth a baby in between our Foie Gras and Pork Medallions. GOSH!!!!!

Most of these looks came from men. Where do these guys think THEY came from? Some human manufacturing plant OTHER than the womb? Were they beamed onto the planet? I feel like so many people think that I should just stay home and not bring this strange phenomenon of pregnancy out amongst the “normal” people. Is it so offensive? What century are we in? Granted, I am not the petite little adorable preggo with a perfect little round belly who has not gained an ounce anywhere except for the baby. I KNOW I am alarmingly pregnant – I scare myself sometimes! But please don’t stare at me like I am a zoo animal. I was “thisclose” to calling out to some of these fellow diners “hey, take a picture it will last longer”. Sheesh.

Oh well – I guess I don’t have to put up with it too much longer so I won’t complain!!! One positive of the evening was me enthusiastically diving into a divine dark chocolate dessert with whip cream and berries with no care whatsoever! That and the fact that for the first time in ages, Nick and I had an adult evening out with great conversation, a fine meal, and no toddler table manners to deal with! Just lovely.

In the meantime, we wait. The blessed event always could occur before the induction date later this week….but somehow I doubt it. Thank goodness for the unending patience of my husband, my mother, and my 2-year-old daughter who are putting up with an increasingly irritable and miserable me.

I should end this entry before I sound ungrateful and angry about the blessing that all this REALLY is! ☺ Soon to come – pics of our first little blessing! Kate continues to shine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Maggie. I know it's hard, but lots of us are praying for you, and you really do make it look easy. I've never seen someone so put together when they're so miserable. Liam is worth it, though, and you'll get to meet him very soon! We're thinking of you! :)