Monday, June 20, 2005

This Old House

Despite my protests that Nick should spend his Father's Day being showered with attention by his daughter and wife spending "quality time" at brunch and some fun summer family activihty, Nick insisted that he wanted to work on the house! It should not have surprised me - he really does love playing Bob Villa - and he does a great job at it! Besides - we had a nice chunk of time together earlier in the weekend. After an office party in a skybox at the Twins Game Friday night, and swim lessons with Kate on Saturday morning, Kate and I retreated to my Mom's condo so Nick could work on the house. He worked all Saturday afternoon through Sunday night and when I got home this morning I was amazed - as usual - at how incredible it looks!

One of the ways that we saved money on the kitchen remodel was by deciding to stain all the new trim and doors ourselves instead of paying to have it done. So this weekend Nick stained the new pocket door, the trim around it, the trim around the new exterior door, and the baseboards. He also rejuvinated the old sad looking window sills in the living and dining room with some TLC and new stain. It looks incredibly great! Following that - he ventured into the torturous world of wallpaper removal on the walls leading to the upstairs that we are renovating ourselves. His patience is astounding, as is his attention to detail.

By the way, when I say "WE are renovating" - it is really Nick. I just take care of getting Kate out of the way so Nick can work without interruption. Well - and I get myself out of the way so he can work without interruption! ;) That, and helping with the overall design vision and paint and placement decisions are my contributions. All the heavy lifting is done by Nick. He is awesome!

I have to go get lunch for the peanut here.....she is thrilled to be back home and always notices Nick's accomplishments and applauds them with an extremely enthusiastic "Woooooowwwww!!!!". What a girl!

1 comment:

Sif said...

I'm so impressed! Also, love seeing the pictures of Kate -- the swimming lesson pictures are precious.