Monday, June 20, 2005

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.....and kids say the darndest things!

My friend Sif has a blog of her own where she documents funny stories about her toddler, Anna. I don’t think she will mind if I copy off of some of her creativity in documenting some of Anna’s antics by describing some of Kate’s. Reading about Anna’s activities made me smile and think of all the amazing and funny (and similar!) things that Kate is doing these days.

Kate has turned into a little girl. She is no longer a baby! At 20 months old, she is so agile and determined and funny! She will burst into song at any given moment and astounds Nick and I with her terrific pitch and her melody accuracy for someone so tiny! I don’t think it is that she is a baby genius (though admittedly sometimes I DO think that), but that I am constantly in awe of what such teeny people are capable of! Listening to Kate sing her ABCs or Old MacDonald unprompted by me makes my own heart sing. Today she came up to me in the kitchen and pulled me into the living room saying, “Mommy, Asha Asha!” and I had NO clue what she was trying to tell me. Then she grabbed my hands and started turning in a circle singing “ring around the rosie” until we “all fell down”. I could hardly stop laughing – I don’t even know where she learned that! I have not played that game with her.

Kate’s vocabulary is so fun listen to as it expands literally on a daily basis….she says so much I could never write it all down but some of the words that we get a kick out of are:

Mik: milk

Peeeeeeeeas: Please. Almost always dragged out like that.

Opakus: Octopus

Show: what she says when she wants to play on the karaoke machine at my Mom and Dad’s condo. She loves to sing in the microphone and when she is done she sings into the mic “aaaallll doooonnne shoooowwwww”

Mongy: what she calls her good friend, Maggie Dunn

Pahtik: what she calls Uncle Patrick

Nia: What she calls my mom, her Nana

Shaya Baya: means “share bear” which is what she calls all Care Bears. Also the title of a song she loves to have me sing to her.

Ohs Daddy? : means “Where’s Daddy?”

Abre: as in “open” in Spanish, and she uses it to mean Open! Deeya: quesadilla, her fave food

Reyeee, seh, GO!: ready set go

Bot: bed

I Cwy: she announces this to you when she is crying

Hewwo: hello!

Elbow: Elmo from sesame street

Doora: Dora the Explorer

Wish: fish

Pupeeeeeeeeee: puppy

Swirl: squirrel

Hot: Hat

Sowwy: sorry

Kickle: tickle

Tee daaaah: Her flourishing announcement of “Tah dah” when she accomplishes something she is proud of or when she is appreciative of something. This could be upon balancing a block on her head or when the church choir is done singing and she stands up in the pew and yells her applause in the form of “teeee daaaaah” in a silent church!

Nope: nope. This is a favorite lately.

Soos: shoes

Sahs: socks

Ray: rain

Anyway, that is just a snapshot. Whether she is pointing to her cup saying “wawa” or surprising me with a full sentence of “Mommy, I see a buhd (bird)”, I am just 150% proud of and crazy about this Katootles.

2 comments:

Sif said...

What fun! By the way, the house looks amazing!!!! Wowee. I'm jealous of the gorgeous new kitchen. It is a far cry from my pokey English kitchen.

Anonymous said...

Maggie,

It's great to hear from you! Your Kate stories had me smiling and even laughing out loud. Nick, the place looks great. I'm glad to hear the three of you are doing so well, and thanks for keeping me up to date!

Cheers,
Paige