Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Our Walk for Arthritis

Nick, Kate and I walked to raise money for the Arthritis Foundation in May. As most of you know, I have been diagnosed with RA and have been working with the docs to try to get it under control. We want to Thank everyone who helped us to raise money for the Arthritis Foundation and it's important mission! While the weather on the day of the event did NOT cooperate (it was cold and rainy and windy) spirits were high and it was a very enjoyable and inspiring day! We had a terrific team of walkers and the event was a huge success! All the kind and generous donations to the Arthritis Foundation helped me become the number one fundraiser in the entire Twin Cities! And our Team was the number one fundraising team!!!!!!!!! We surpassed all of our fundraising goals - our little family alone raised $5051.00 and our Team total was $6001.00. We are SO VERY lucky to have so many wonderful people helping to support us in life!

I have to admit that after the walk of only 5K, my RA was flaring quite horribly. The nasty weather certainly contributed to my discomfort. It was very frustrating...I used to run 5Ks for fun, and here a walk knocked me out! Yet the pain only highlighted the extreme need for the Foundation's work on serving people with arthritis, their families and the healthcare professionals who help us. Most dramatically, it made the need for research for a cure a most pressing and immediate reality. So, while my bones were aching, it was a huge comfort to think of all of the thought and support from everyone that will make this dream of a cure come true. I am so lucky to have such supportive, warm and thoughtful people in my life.

Thanks again to all the terrific folks who sent their positive thoughts our way. We continue
to be overwhelmed by your care!

No comments: