Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ice Cold

I like the cold. I do! Irish gals do not generally look or feel fantastic in the heat - think red faces and a constant sheen of sweat with tendrils of hair usually plastered to one's forehead. I adore sweater weather and have a mild obsession with the fashion of what is known as "outerwear"....I like a crispness in the air. Now, as you may know, I spent a large part of my formative years practically living on the equator, so I have many years of sunburn and sweat and swimming through the atmosphere to school under my belt. I recall days when literally 5 minutes after stepping outside, one felt like they needed to go back home and take a shower and put on a fresh change of clothes due to insta-soak humidity. Things smell extra horrible in the heat, too - garbage goes from bad to toxic in 1.2 seconds, pavement overheats and the asphalt stinks, and since I lived in Asia, animals were extra "ripe" - be it the dogs and livestock running in the streets of Jakarta or the pig heads and cow tongues hanging in open alley shops in Hong Kong. Heat can just be, in a word, GROSS. And I pretty much despise "gross".

That said.

I would really not mind traveling to the hottest possible place on the planet right now. Tomorrow the temp is supposed to be below zero - again, with the windchills in the negative 30 to negative 40 range - again. With blustery wind. I KNOW, I KNOW!!!!! "You live in Minnesota, Maggie, what did you expect?" Well, I expected a week or two of this off and on. But it has just been bone chillin cold for weeks now. My feet are incapable of warming up. Cold toes make me really cranky. I just want to go for a little while to one of those locales where you can literally feel the heat soak into you. Where it makes you toasty and sleepy and cozy and relaxed. I would even take a little bit of nasty humid awfulness right now over this c-c-c-c-cold.

But I DO love my sweaters. And I love snuggling with the kids under blankets reading. And I love our cozy little buttoned up house with the wind and whiteness outside. This particular winter is just feeling extra long. sigh. May cannot get here soon enough (because honestly it is still pretty chilly until then). Going to go now and put hunters hand warmer packs in my Ugg Boots to see if that will toast my toes up.

1 comment:

Sif said...

Oh how I sympathize. I am also lover of sweater weather, but there comes a point, generally in February or March, when you just want a little warmth! That said, I'll take cold any day over hot and humid. Ick. Hot and humid are not my friends.