Monday, January 28, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Kate has had some funny comments lately. Here are two examples:

Yesterday was a “Kate Challenge” day. In other words, she was out of sorts. Liam has been doing a lot of fun, adorable, and commendable things as of late – from saying new words to knowing the alphabet, pointing out letters, and telling us their sounds. Every time he does something new we cheer and applaud appropriately, but I think that Kate has been getting QUITE jealous and has been acting a little upset and out of sorts, despite the fact that we make sure to give her equal applause for her great deeds. I realized that perhaps she needed a little one-on-one time, so Nick decided to keep an eye on Liam so Kate and I could hang out. I suggested to Kate, “Why don’t you and I go downstairs and play some board games? Daddy will stay up here with Liam!”

Kate responded with extreme enthusiasm in a loud whisper “Mommy! That is a GREAT idea! That way, Liam will never respect us!” I looked at her quizzically, thinking I knew what she meant to say but asked anyway, “Respect us? Liam will never respect us? What do you mean?” Kate answered, very knowingly, and this is verbatim, “Mom, it is just another way of saying that he will never guess what we are up to downstairs!” I said “Ooohhhh! You mean he will never SUSPECT us!” She put on a semi-sheepish smile and totally played it off, one hand on her hip, the other waving in the air “Yes! Suspect! Of course!” Too funny.


Tonight we decided to head out of the house as a family. It was actually warm here today! In the 40s! Positively balmy. When Nick got home from work we took the kids out to dinner. It was a nice night out and the kiddos behaved beautifully and I did not have to cook! Yay! As we left the restaurant and were strolling outside, I commented that it was a lovely night. It really was! There was a cool breeze, but it felt terrific and fresh and clean after being frozen in the house for days. Kate was blinking and ducking her head away from the breeze and REALLY being very overdramatic. I commented on it and she said something about the wind. I told her I LOVED the breeze! She said very calmly “Well I don’t! It is blowing in my face!” I said “Oh, the breeze is wonderful, Kate! It feels so fresh and clean! Fresh air and wind is part of nature! I love nature! Nature is good for everyone!” Kate very frankly informed us that “Well, it’s NOT good for meeeeee.” What?! We need to get this girl out more. The housebound frozen-ness has made her forget that she used to tantrum when it was time to come inside!

Please God let it warm up soon! No luck…it is going to drop back below zero this week. Sigh.

No comments: