Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Moonlight Serendae

I went to bed early last night! After gardening all day Sunday and a Monday full of mommy-challenges, I was exhausted by 9pm - which is VERY early for me. Good thing I got to bed earlier than usual. At 4am, Nick and I were awoken by soft strains of music over Kate's "baby monitor". She had gotten out of bed to turn on her stereo and we were graced with the sounds of her "Disney Princess" CD. First up, "Reflection", from "Mulan", made famous by Christina Aguilera before she was a genie-in-a-bottle-turned-drrrrty tramp-turned legitimate powerhouse songstress who dresses like a 40's pinup. I digress.

Kate's voice soon began sweetly chirping and warbling along to the song - again, at 4 o'clock in the morning - and Nick and I lay awake in the dark listening to her with huge smiles on our faces...."when will my reee-fwection shoooowwwww, whooo I YAM insiiiiiide". As she moved from Mulan into a song from "the little mermaid", I had to go upstairs and put a stop to it. She was not very happy about it, but #1, it was 4am, #2, if she woke up Liam it would no longer be so cute, and #3 she needed sleep because she had to be up for school in the morning - oh, and #4, despite me going to bed early, I still REALLY love my sleep and need as much as possible! :)

After a time, I managed to get Kate back down to sleep. The house was quiet and dark. I crept downstairs back to bed and snuggled in and was just drifting off in that perfect moment of sleep when....."NEEEIIIGGGHHH!!! NEIGH NEIGH NEIGH!!!!!". The monitor now emitted the equine expressions of one Kate "Pony" Harris, snug in her bed, pretending to be a horse.

I decided at this point that she was just going for a reaction, and ignored her. I had to put up with about 15 minutes of whinnying, and I lost that perfect sleep moment, but she eventually stopped and drifted off to dreamland. And then so did I. Unbelievably, Liam slept through the whole thing. Yeeeiiiigggghhh.

No comments: