Sunday, September 03, 2006

Your Eyes are Cracking!

Tonight I was really enjoying the kids. Nick had some work to do, so I put both of them to bed this evening. First was Liam. He was as sweet as ever. Snuggling as we rocked in his chair just before bed. I stared down at him in his dinosaur jammies as his eyes grew heavier and heavier. His little fingers curled around one of my fingers and his other hand crept slowly to the side of his head where he twirled a strand of his hair as he fell asleep - a move absolutely identical to what Kate does when she is super sleepy. Well I was just a puddle of mush over how cute he was. He has not been sleeping well at all the past few weeks due to teething and a giant growth spurt and I have been running on little sleep - but gazing at his peaceful sleeping face erased all exhaustion from my body.

Apparently, though, that was just in spirit. The effects of how haggard I really am must be pretty darn visible. Let me explain. After Liam was tucked into his crib, it was on to Kate's bedtime routine. A story in her rocking chair, prayers at bedside and she crawled into bed. Unusually, she then asked if I would snuggle her in her bed. Well I was just so full of total adoration for the kids I said I would sing her one song while I snuggled her. She cuddled right up against me and put her little arm around my shoulder and patted my hair while we sang her bedtime song. Could life get ANY better than this?

Just then Kate said "Mommy, what's on your eyes?" Thinking maybe she was talking about my contact lenses I explained that. She said "No, Mom! Your eyes are all red!" I explained "Oh, that is probably because I am a little tired. It is bed time after all!" Kate then said "No, Mommy, your eyes are CRACKING! They are RED AND CRACKING! You better go to the doctor."

So - the cloud of motherhood happiness that I am floating on does not make me LOOK as great as it makes me FEEL! Nice, though, that bloodshot eyes, limp hair and bone tiredness can be totally forgotten with just one sweet hug or smile or drowsy hair twirl. If I could bottle it, I'd make a million.

No comments: