Friday, January 20, 2006

One of the main ways to my heart was and always will be BOOKS......

My heart is melting right now. I am sitting downstairs on the sofa at the end of a long week…..I left Nick and Kate upstairs in her room a while ago with Nick handling bedtime duties tonight. The routine always involves a bedtime story – always of the typical story/picture book type. “The Giving Tree”, or “Manners” or “Dora” or a book of what Kate calls “Wimes” – which is really “A Children’s Treasury of Irish Rhymes”. She has also taken to listening to these stories on the floor like she is at storytime at the library. Then will crawl up for a quick cuddle and song before going to sleep.

BUT. Tonight, Kate selected a book off the bookshelf that is “a big girl book”. She asked Nick to read the real “Winnie the Pooh” to her. Not the Disney storybook version, but the chapter book. Now, maybe she was trying to be clever and extend bedtime by selecting it – but I don’t care! I left them upstairs, snuggled together in the rocking chair with Kate in her yellow footed fleece jammies, freshly bathed, sitting on Nick’s lap, holding her sweet floppy bear in the crook of her arm. I can now hear them over the baby monitor as Nick reads a full chapter from “Winnie the Pooh”. Kate is not fidgeting or being distracted at all. Every now and then she will make a little remark about the story, though. So engrossed. Such a big girl. And so special. Like I said – my heart is melting. It is moments like these that illustrate the indescribable joys of motherhood and marriage. Thank you, God!

No comments: