Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Oink

Kate asked me for a turkey and cheese sandwich for lunch today. I only had ham, so she got ham. As she was eating the ham, she was peering at it curiously and this conversation followed:

Kate - calmly inspecting her ham: Mom, where does ham come from?

Me (knowing what was coming, and not really in the mood for this conversation): The grocery store. Dad bought that ham at the grocery store.

Kate - insistent: Nooooo, Mom. Where does it COME from? What IS it?

Me: It is pork.

Kate: What is pork?

Me: A type of meat, like bacon, turkey, hamburger are meat.

Kate: Yes but MOM they come from ANIMALS. What ANIMAL does HAM COME FROM?

Me: A pig.

Kate - calmer than I expected: Really? Hmm. A pig, huh?

Me: Yes.

Pause while Kate thinks this over. I know what is coming. I am right....

Kate: You know, Mom. I have a movie about a really cute pig whose farmer wants to get rid of him. You know the one I am talking about?

Me: Yes, Charlotte's Web. We also read the book about it.

Kate: Yeah. He wants to kill the pig and eat him.

Me: NO response. Silent.

Kate: So I am kind of eating Wilbur. (Takes a big bite).

What can I say?!

No comments: