Saturday, March 17, 2007

Only in Minnesota....

Living here is so interesting. Minnesotans are very unique and tough and loyal.

Unique: You don't cook casseroles here. You make "hot dish". Not "A" hot dish. Just hot dish. Also, the letter "A" is not pronounced as in most areas of the USA. If the letter "A" is in a word, you say it just like the letter (as in a long "a") instead of ever using the "short a". For instance, my name is not Maggie. It is MAY-GEE. I do not carry a Bag. I carry a BAYG. Also, the word cute is pronounced - Cue-eh-et. Say it real fast, you will get the idea.

Tough: I saw a quote from Talk Radio Star Garrison Keeler that sums it up pretty well....."Minnesota is a place that seriously tries to kill you and if winter doesn't get you, March makes sure you know what a hangover feels like even if you dont drink." That is so darn true. Just a perfect description. And I am toughening up. I remember when I lived in Hong Kong and it would get down to about 50 or 60 degrees F and we would all be wearing giant puffy coats and hats and gloves. NOW.....as soon as it hits 32 after a long winter, I am running around without a coat at all.

Loyal: I was out and NCAA March Madness Basketball was on the TV. Awesome! I love it! Well....someone switched it. To U of MN Gopher Hockey. And people cheered. Now, I have been to Gopher games and they are awesome. I think it may be some sort of tourney or playoff for the Golden Gophers, even. But wow it just highlights the fact that people here LOOOOOVE them some Minnesota!!!! Sometimes I feel like Nick and I, along with a small circle of friends, are the only people that did not grow up here and go to college somewhere in this state.

No comments: